Friday, February 22, 2008

Today I Climbed a Tree

I'm having one of those beautiful, rare days. The nearly perfect weather is certainly playing a big part, but I think that even if it were gray, rainy, and cold I might still feel connected and open to all things today. It's the kind of day where it's almost unbearable to be inside. Where you want to open all the blinds and windows and let in as much light (and even noise!) as possible -- and who cares if people can see you. The kind of day where you want to buy flowers for yourself, just because they are beautiful. The kind of day where you lift your head, stop looking at your feet, meet everyone in the eye, smiling hugely and say a strong "hello" as you pass. The kind of day where you can lay in the grass at a park and stare at the sky for an hour or watch the people and be joyful that you are alive.

I was walking in Discovery Park and towards the end of my regular path, there's the greatest tree. Every time I see that tree, no matter what, it makes me happy. Today, as I came around the corner and there it was, there was a man taking a picture of it with his cell phone. He had the best smile on his face, but looked just a little bit sheepish at having been caught loving this tree. So I said, "It brings out your inner seven-year-old, doesn't it? You just want to climb that tree, just because, don't you?" He laughed and said, "Let's do it." So we did. We laughed but didn't talk. We didn't exchange names or numbers or life stories. We just shared our happiness and wonder at that tree and went our separate ways.

I listened to Sunshine on my Shoulders in the car going home and seriously teared up with happiness while I sang along.

If I had a day that I could give you
I'd give to you a day just like today
If I had a song that I could sing for you
I'd sing a song to make you feel this way

What a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't know how starved you are for the sunshine until you have it again. I felt the same way all day. Pure joy!